View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #23
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
So, I'd look somewhere else for reasons why major bestsellers sell fewer books than they (or other major bestsellers) used to - typically, economic reasons. If your reader base is largely composed of people who have less freely disposable income, it is to be expected that they will buy fewer books. People who used to buy, say, 4 or 5 books a year (most likely highly visible - bestsellers) will cut down to 1 or 2.
Thanks Philippe D. Very interesting to hear your impressions from France. I did not take KKR's comments (or John Grisham's comments for that matter) as applying to the European market, with the possible exception of the UK (assuming Europeans still regard it as part of Europe). Fixed publisher set pricing in most countries in Europe have I understand so far largely prevented the price competition which fueled the growth of Amazon and ebooks in the United States. In the English speaking countries there are essentially two markets, one dominated by traditional publishers setting prices for both print and ebooks quite high, and an Indie/Self Publishing market selling at much lower prices. This latter market is taking significant share from traditional publishers, particularly in ebooks. I'm sure that this market exists to a significant extent in Europre.

I'd be interested in your further comments.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote