View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #3
Dave_the_rave
Dave_the_rave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th Generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Dropbox is only available on the Forma and the Sage. Not on the Libra 2.
It doesn't sync any reading progress or notes. It only downloads the book, and yes, the cover is displayed.

As to the reading experience of epubs, personally I didn't like it out of the box. I had to patch my Kobo to get the epubs look the way I wanted. Of course YMMV, and the alternative is to use the KoboTouch Extended Driver in Calibre to turn your epubs into kepubs when sending them to your Kobo.

Some advantages of kepubs:
- they're faster, e.g. page turning
- you can zoom the images, which you can't do with epubs
- reading statistics in a book

The main advantage of epubs is better typography, but they're noticeably slower than kepubs.

I also came to the Kobo readers from the latest Oasis. Some comparisons between the Oasis and the latest Kobo devices:

- the Oasis is a bit faster than the Sage and noticeably zippier than the Libra 2
- it's a bit more stable (I've had my Kobos freeze or reboot a few times, never happened with the Oasis)
- the screens of the Sage and especially the Libra 2 are noticeably sharper and more contrasty than that of the Oasis. That (plus the customizability and Calibre integration) is the main reason I prefer them to the Oasis.
- there is a wealth of options to customize a Kobo reader and to install alternative reading apps like KOReader. You can do it even if you know zilch about coding and programming, there are detailed instructions even dummies like me can understand. A Kindle, unless jailbroken, has far fewer options to make the text look exactly the way you want.

The Sage has a newer processor than the Libra 2, so it's faster and of course its screen is larger. But it's also heavier and the battery life is not good.

The main attraction of the Libra 2 is its screen quality, which is excellent, better than the Oasis and the newest Paperwhites. Also the frontlight is more even than the Sage frontlight.

As to the Forma, I have never owned one, so can't say much about it. It has the same processor as the Libra 2, so it's slower than the Sage, and the screen contrast is not as good as the latest Kobos. OTOH it has a 8'' screen like the Sage, but weighs much less, and has better battery life.
Thanks for reply.

Seems like a tough comparison.

I would like to know how do you now transfer epubs from computer to Kobo. Do you prefer to convert them to kepubs and then send them using dropbox? Plus I am kind of missing the point here for using dropbox if its not syncing anything such as highlights then its just as good as sending ebooks using Send To Kindle app or am I missing something? Also I can see the weight being a concern as Oasis being the lighter than Libra2.
Dave_the_rave is offline   Reply With Quote