View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Just ordered a Color Jetbook

I've wanted something that can allow me to read PDFs for a long time, but couldn't afford the Kindle DX and got a Kindle 2. I think it has finally died.

I'm an academic so read a lot of 8.5x11 papers, journals, and reference books that use graphs that all seem to end up in PDF and wouldn't render very well on a 6-inch screen even if they came in MOBI or ePub. However, I do read a lot of novels and other literature so do get some value out of the Amazon archive thing.

I debated about getting a non-Amazon device, but the fact that Amazon frequently discontinues good eReader products in favor of itsy-bitsy video viewers, and they have a 5 to 7 week backorder on the new PaperWhites, and I just decided to get more universal, and/or wait for Amazon to get a little less proprietary.

I'm used to reading a somewhat grayish screen with the Kindle 2 so I'm wondering if the Triton screen is much worse or better? The pictures of the Jetbook screen on the Ectaco (bad Mexican?) website imply a white background, but I gather that's a ways south of wishful thinking?

Also, while I'm thinking of it, can I buy and sync books from other suppliers without a lot of hassle? It doesn't appear that Jetbook is compatible with the DRMed-MOBI but is it compatible with books purchased online at B&N or Google Books, etc..? Is Amazon going to sell a DRM-ed ePub in future, or is that more wishful-thinking rumor?

How klunky *is* the software on the Jetbook Color? Will it seem bad after the Kindle 2? I use Calibre, so it looks like I can buy through their "Get Books" function, but how easy is it to use Calibre to organize a library structure on the Jetbook Color?

Do I have to keep typing "Color?"

Anyway, it looks like I have about two weeks to try it out and get advice and work out any potential kinks, so just wanted to touch base with you folks in anticipation of some back-and-forth.

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-03-2012 at 11:56 PM.