View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Again I argue that the professors are the cause of the "racket" because they face no economic incentive to set cheaper books for their class texts. Usually lecturers receive review copies for free so I bet most lecturers don't even know the price of the books they are setting as required reading.
That's not always true.
I certainly know the price of textbooks because it shows up automatically, along with all the other details, when I am compiling my electronic course reading lists.
And students are quite canny in my part of the world. They have been known to opt for courses with cheaper set books.
I've got every sympathy with them, so use PD texts whenever possible, and mention free electronic versions, when they are available.
I also label the items on my reading lists as "essential", "useful for lectures 1 and 2", "useful background reading" etc. This helps the students to prioritise.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote