View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I use my Kindle one-handed all the time. I find it very ergonomic. My husband has one and he doesn't find the buttons to be quite as ergonomic but he's gotten used to them. I think it's just one of those things where you can't please all people. He's used to holding his books further up the side than I am. I usually hold near the bottom so the solid space between the screen and the keyboard is the natural spot for me. A little flick of the thumb and the page is changed.

As for the samples, they are only delivered wirelessly. With books, you can do either wireless or transfer to the Documents folder via USB.

Just to elaborate a little bit on what Jon and Bob said about format: .azw is able to be stripped with mobidedrm and topaz (.tpz or .azw1) isn't. The file extension isn't readily apparent just from looking at the site. If you get a sample, you can check the file extension before buying. Here's a rundown of another way to tell from texasnightowl:

Quote:
Identifying Topaz/AZW1 files prior to purchase

If I missed discussion on this here, sorry, but I saw this on the Amazon discussion forums and it may be accurate. I've looked at some of the titles mentioned in the AZW1 thread anyway and it seems to hold up.

When looking at the "Product Details" of a book, if it lists "Print Length" but not "File Size", then it may be Topaz/AZW1, whereas if it gives both "Print Length" AND "File Size" then it is probably regular AZW.

Example:

Product Details from Deanna Raybourn's "Silent in the Grave" (AZW)
# Format: Kindle Edition
# File Size: 408 KB
# Print Length: 544 pages
# Publisher: Mira (December 1, 2007)
# Sold by: Amazon Digital Services

Product Details from Leslie Langtry's " 'Scuse me while I kill this guy" (TOPAZ/AZW1)
# Format: Kindle Edition
# Print Length: 325 pages
# Publisher: Leisure (July 31, 2007)
# Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote