View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #40
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Nonsense. I'd rather see a child of mine playing something like Final Fantasy Tactics (it teaches math, strategy, and the fact that sometimes your opponent is a cheating...) than one of the eleventy-billion Twilight knock-offs that I strongly suspect were churned out by a novel-writing computer as opposed to an actual human being.

I like reading as much as the next girl, but if we're going to be all ZOMG READING TRUMPS ALL OTHER ENTERTAINMENT AS MORE INTELLECTUAL then I call Dead Horse Thread.
K. Got me there...to a degree, vis a vis Final Fantasy.

Though in truth, your CAPSLOCK outburst was not even remotely what I said or was implying. Note, I was referring to Angry Birds specifically and even then I acknowledged certain basic structural engineering concepts which appear to be an inherent part of the game and may indeed have some value beyond exercising simple hand eye coordination skills while playing the game.

Still, we must agree to disagree.

I have no love for Twilight or other similar "literary" dreck and lord knows there are mountains of it out there [though I feel I dislike Twilight more for what I consider its hipsterization of the vampire mythos than for bad, corporatized writing] - always has been and always will be. But what I personally consider dreck might be considered top quality, worthwhile entertainment to others. Who am I to say?

At the end of the day though, I still personally think I would prefer my kids to pick up a book and try to develop a lasting love for reading versus engaging in certain other less mentally "stimulating" activities.

That is, if I actually had any kids. Though I am a new, first time uncle this week...

cheers!
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote