View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
q5485
q5485 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Children's books author needs suggestions

Hi
I have authored/self-published 20 children's books in hardcover format. I am now considering converting them into epub so that ibookstore can carry them.
To begin, I started with my first book. I already have it stored in pdf format and in docx formats. I converted the pdf format of the book into epub using callibre. I used sigil software to clean it up and then I had it "validated". It is now validated (though I would still like to make some changes in the appearance such as fonts, etc). Since it is already validated, I would like to know the following:

(a) is there a sandbox or a place where I can upload it and see how it will look on an ipad? I downloaded epubcheck-1.0.5.war but I am lost as to how to use it. I even downloaded the epubcheck-src-1.0.5.zip but I don't know how to run it. (I know how to unzip, extract & install but I am lost as to how to how to run epubcheck or if I still need to run epubcheck.

(b) One of the reasons I am restricting sales of my hardcover books to the US market is control over DRM. Will I be able to control for piracy if I make my books available through ibookstore.

(c) Assuming I have successfully validated the epub format of my book, where do I upload it? Is there an application that I need to fill out and send to apple?

(d) If I can successfully do this with my 1st book, I will get the conversion done for the remaining 19 books and then upload them to ibookstore.
(e) Should I consider converting the books to suit other ebook readers such as kindle, nook etc? Are DRM better or worse with other ebook readers?
(f) I am trying to minimize the cost of conversion. I was fed up with the big book publishers and decided to self-publish. Do you think I can still do these myself or should I have a 3rd party convert it and upload it for me? One third party is charging $ 250 per book to convert and upload it to ibookstore. Is that a reasonable cost?

Thank you very much for being patient and reading my questions. I hope you will be able to help me with pointers and suggestions. Thank you in advance for doing this.
K
q5485 is offline   Reply With Quote