View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks — Mobileread truncated without me noticing. Now changed to a link on some text.

Further investigation (using a drm-free sample of one of the books) shows that the new format is, essentially, a PDF wrapped in a Palm Database along with some other information, probably including some indexes into the PDF.

Since the Kindle 3 can already display PDFs, a firmware update should be possible to allow these books to be read on Kindles, but it might be a deliberate decision to limit to Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac, as displaying US Letter PDFs (which is the size of most textbooks) on the 6" Kindle screen is rarely pretty.
Good investigation. I suspect this format will be at least supported on the Kindle DX which is targeted at schools. Why else would they mention that a feature of this format is the ability to sync between various Kindle devices and programs. It is likely to also go to the Kindle readers on Tablets. The DRM feature is likely a good part of the reason as many manufacturers are aiming at the textbook market these days. It seems to be the next big push. Time limited licenses are also needed for rentals which also seems a feature for textbooks. I feel a new wiki page coming on in the next few days

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote