Thread: Seriousness When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #71
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
OK:

How are Princess Diana and a mobile phone similar?
They both die in tunnels.

Anything you wouldn't like to see a joke about? 9/11? Asian tsunami? Are some things just too tragic? How long after till jokes become acceptable?

That's a joke in bad taste.

I'm rationalizing it this way due to the fact that so many people seem to admire this dead woman. I don't know her and I don't admire her, so I don't personally find the joke offensive or in bad taste. I DO, however, like it because it's in bad taste. But even if I did find it offensive to me personally, I would claim that you have the right to say it as a joke. (I like horror novels, and that's why I like jokes about ambulatory dead things.) Some people, however, would find the above joke offensive.

Some people would find toilet paper offensive because of what it's used for.

Current jokes about 9/11 are on an entirely different level - one would have to be certifiably insane to joke about that issue. Jokes of that nature will probably become acceptable in a decade or two. However, I'm only guessing.

I would personally like to say more in this post, but I need to move on.

Don