View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have been thinking along the same lines. Here is what I have figured out so far.

The various DRMs can be split into several groups; MSReader, Sony, PDA formats, and the various oddball formats(Ebookwise, Hanlin, etc).

Let me apologize in advance for what I am about to say. Sony is currently a third rate DRM ebook format. It's restricted to just their hardware. The selection in the Connect store is limited, and the website itself is difficult to navigate. It's possible to make your own ebooks; many people here post the one they make. If you buy an ebook from Sony, I think it is restricted to just the one device you registered with Sony.

MSReader has been around awhile. It is in a number of ebook stores. I think it only runs on various versions of Windows. However, I do not trust Microsoft. No, I take that back. I trust them to screw it up. I will not buy stuff from MS in this format. From other sellers, maybe. It also has a built in limit on the number of devices.

There are two PDA formats that I am aware of: Mobipocket and Palm eReader. They are about equal in availability. I am not certain, but I think they each have a limit on the number of device you can read an ebook on. Both formats can be read on a PDA running Palm or Windows Mobile. I don't know about eReader, but I do know that Mobipocket can also be read on your Windows computer. I've tried it, it's okay.

Ebookwise is the only other DRM format that needs to be mentioned. It is limited to the one device, the 1150, and can only be bought from the one website(I forget the name). The hardware is old and inexpensive. You can make ebooks in this format with the dozens of converters on the web. Actually, I am pretty sure all of these formats can be created on your PC.

There are a number of new ebook readers out with proprietary formats. None of them are important yet.

Currently, the most universal ebook reader hardware is a computer running Windows, with a Windows Mobile PDA running a close second.

I am still looking for a lightweight large screen device that will do this. I currently have my hopes set on the possibility of the Amazon Kindle, which might read ebooks from Amazon's subsidiary company Mobipocket.

Does this help you out?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote