View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #59
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
So, if I want to stay with a 7" tablet, I can get a Nexus or a Nook HD+ for the same price. The Nook comes with a micro SD slot, but it's locked. So, if I buy the Nook, I HAVE to root it 'cause I FAR prefer the other e-readers I'm using on my Nook Color (now a rooted Nook tablet), to the Nook reader...

I wouldn't mind rooting it, but I TRULY dislike going over to get the stuff for rooting. I understand that nerds LOVE to be abstruse and make it difficult to find, figure out which one is the right one, and figure out how to use the software. But, these guys have elevated it to an art form, creating an environment that's incredibly difficult to navigate, decipher, and understand for a "mere" user.

Back when I rooted the Nook Color, I questioned the need to make the site so impenetrable, and was told "It's not meant for "normal" people. It's SUPPOSED to be hard to understand and hard to use. If you're not willing to spend the number of hours required to figure out which software, what version, understand all the three-letter-acronyms, wade through the jumps and hoops to get the instructions, and figure out how to do everything, you SHOULDN'T be here."

Which makes the Nexus look really attractive by comparison.
I guess you're talking about XDA. I disagree that it is hard and that it is made on purpose. The first roots are always not for the faint-hearted because they use exploits that may be difficult to implement by the non-initiated, but a bit later on people package it up in a way that even the most techno-illiterate person could root the device. It's come to the point where you download a file, create a disk image on an SD card (for which you have step-by-step instructions) with that file, and simply boot the device with the SD card inserted. I don't see where the complication lies.

That said, I agree that for people who want the pure Android experience and a tablet with no constraints, the nooks or kindles are not the right choice; if you plan on rooting, you might as well simply go with a Nexus that is by definition unlocked and ready to play with.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote