View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Unfortunately, it's a contractual problem.

Book publishing rights are still allocated geographically - i.e. a publisher buys the rights from the author to publish a book in a particular region, such as North America or Europe. The reason the publishers are up in arms is that if someone in the UK buys an ebook from Amazon.com.us, then the holder of the UK rights loses a sale.

In the days of print and small publishers, this made sense. A publisher in the US might not have the facilities to sell books overseas, so those rights would be sold to publishers in other countries.

But yes, the model is now broken.

Keep complaining. The only way it's going to get fixed is if enough people raise a big enough stink.
So my question is, *IF* an author were to go out and try to locate a publisher to publish their new eBook is there a publisher currently in existence who publishes for all of terra firma?

Or is there some kind of relationship that I don't know about which has to exist? Like the publishers each have a back room filled with lawyers versed in European Copyright Law and not North American Copyright law nor Australian Copyright Law, etc. etc.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote