View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #48
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I was thinking something similar this morning: if you can survive a PC crash without a backup with a shrug then you probably be better off with a Chromebook or a tablet.

My reasons for backing up are similar to others mentioned:
  • not wanting to re-rip my CD and DVD collections
  • not wanting to re-download and re-de-DRM my ebooks (with Amazon's current activities this is especially true)
  • wanting to keep my photos (most of which aren't on Facebook etc)
  • wanting to keep my writing. Haven't written anything for a few years but it's nice to keep the old stories.
  • I have other things I keep e.g/ an archive of a now-defunct website that I used to use a lot. Various other things that the internet at large may not care enough about to keep.
  • just having lost data before makes you want to back up

Also, backups are not just for crashes. Sometimes you accidentally delete a file and want it back. Sometimes you delete or change a file and then need to see a previous version.

Final word on backups. A couple of maxims I've learned from my day job as a software developer:

Quote:
Recovery needs drive backup policy
Quote:
If you haven't tested restoring from your backup, you haven't got a backup
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote