View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #15
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I'm not arguing the morality of what Amazon did with 1984.
I, on the other hand, am. It's probably legal, but that doesn't mean much in terms of morality. Add to this the fact that the back-pedaled pretty quickly after the public outcry that followed.

Quote:
I'm just saying that it's pretty damn weird that someone else has that kind of control over what's on your ereader.
Only if you let them I am glad that this happened pretty early on so people got to see what consequences using a tightly vendor-controlled device can have. Even if we consider DRM a necessary evil (and that's as far as I'm willing to go) you still have a choice of reading devices. And, yes, some devices are more equal than others.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote