Thread: Short vs Long
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The only short stories I've done for a very long time don't really count, they're written in context of a larger framework, mostly missing pieces and background information, most of them not intended for anyone but me.

I think the biggest reason why I don't do short is that I don't enjoy reading short stories much any more. Even the good ones tend to leave me feeling unsatisfied, I'm just getting comfortable and they're finished. There have been a few exceptions in recent years, but only very few. I love to be able to settle in for the long ride. Each writer has their own tone and style, each story has its own feel. I find that, now more than ever, I like to get comfortable with that and roll around in it for a while.

Of course saying that puts me in an awkward position if I ever decide to try and write short stories for publication. ... But no one here would be so rude as to bring this up then, would they?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote