View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoulde View Post
I think Calibre is slow on my brand new PC also (while loading and maximizing). While you may be correct that AV slows it down, that doesn't help much. Who in their right mind is going to not run AV? Besides, the AV doesn't seem to be slowing other apps down. Scanning for virus's is a fact of life and if Calibre doesn't take that into account in it's design then there's a problem.
I wasn't suggesting running without AV all the time. What I was suggesting is to turn off as many background processes as possible to try to find the slowdown. Windows has all kinds of background processes that can slow a system or program, especially on a computer purchased from a well known retailer. They tend to add all kinds of subscription programs that could slow you down. When they come new with the PC, they are often excluded from the AV and AM scans by the manufacturer, but a 3rd party application isn't.

I don't use Vista or W7, but things I've found that slow a system down are anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spamware, indexing services, various other apps like itunes or realmedia that want to scan and index all your media.

That's why I recommend turning off as much as possible to see it there's a particular program or utility that may be causing the slowdown. Once you locate the problem, you can address it.

Another possible issue is the gui portion of the program. I'm not a programmer, but have heard of issues with certain gui toolsets being slow in particular situations. You could check that by turning off eye candy and other whiz-bang features and see if that helps.

You could also try updating the video drivers as I've read about weird bugs with drivers and certain programs.

Really, it comes down to trial and error and trying to isolate the problem as much as possible. As there are plenty of other users running various versions of Calibre on Windows Vista with no issues, it points to the particular system and configuration being the issue and the user will have to try and track the problem down.

Other people, such as myself, can make suggestions, but given that the users setup is not going to be identical to anyone else's, all we can do is provide suggestions and try to narrow down the problem.

Hope this helps.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote