View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
Metathron
Metathron began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
A couple of questions

Hi guys,

I have just bought this little gadget yesterday and I have a couple of questions.

1. What's the best text format to be used on it, in your opinion?

Pdf looks really stretched, and having to continuously scroll left-right and up-down on the same page is really tiresome, there's no way I'm going to read like that. Or, if it's not stretched, the letters are tiny and you have to look really close which is very strenuous.

I tried converting pdf to txt or htm but in a lot of cases there's at least something wrong, like lots of spaces inbetween words or paragraphs (that are not there in the original) or not enough spaces so everything is lumped together (e.g. the copyright page, the preface, ...) or strange symbol. So conversion doesn't seem to help, except in some rare cases.

Ebooks that are originally in txt or htm format seem to be the best option and I've downloaded a free Mobipocket book and that looks really neat too.

EDIT: I've downloaded a pdf book from the mybebook.com site and that one looks good (no need for scrolling left-right, big letters), so it seems that some pdf files are optimized for ebook readers whereas others are not?

2. The trash can button on the left hand side doesn't work (in version 1.0, I've found out). I found a 1.2 update/patch on Bookeen's home page, but the instructions said I had to copy the file to an SD device or some such, but I don't have that. Why can't I just copy it to the reader itself???

I was really excited to finally purchase an ebook reader, something I've been planning to do for quite some time, but at the end of the day, I was left feeling a bit disappointed. Maybe you guys can give me some advice that'll put me in a more chipper mood.

Thanks in advance for all/any input.

Last edited by Metathron; 07-15-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Metathron is offline   Reply With Quote