Thread: Seriousness How much computer is enough?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
All the computers here run WinXP except one that still runs Win2kPro and a 450 MHz P-3 Sony Z-505HE that runs Win98SE. The main machine is a Pent-D @ 3 GHz (old style dual core) with 2 GB RAM and 500 GB DASD. The music server is an AMD ~3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and 3 TB DASD. I also run a virtual DOS 6.2.2 machine with Word for DOS 5.5 on it.

For software, some have Office 2003 and the rest have Office 2000. Photoshop is version 7, Corel is version 9, Acrobat Pro is version 6.

All of the versions are stable. This matters more than the latest features. For my work I need the computer to be available and to perform. I doesn't matter what whiz-bang is in the latest release if it is flakey. Also, other than a new set of file formats, what have the recent Office releases added -- workgroup tools. I am a solo consultant, what good do they do?

I'm not a gamer and I don't own anything blu-ray so there is no push for the latest technology. Plus this stuff is very cost effective.

Now some areas are up-to-date: OS and Office patches, Firefox, drivers, anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, anti-root kit, and the like.

On the back desk I still have an old (read 30+ year old technology) Apple II -- 1 MHz with an 8-bit data path and 128 KB bank switched RAM (64 KB at any one time.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote