View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #441
HugeFanOfE-Ink
HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle DX
Some improvement...

It looks like the problem was chiefly one of there being no good vnc servers on OS X.

Here's a really, really roundabout solution which works better than a 'direct' connection in OS X, ironically....

* The best vnc server for the job appears to be TigerVNC, but specifically the Linux version. TigerVNC has Windows & Mac viewers too; but the server works only on Linux. (So, no use building it from source, if you're on a Mac.)

Check out their wiki: TigerVNC. It looks like they're pouring a lot of effort into making the RFB server more efficient.

TigerVNC is also a *lot* more customizable. The most useful customization for my purposes was setting the *color depth*. I set this to the lowest value (8).

It creates a virtual desktop, allowing you to run whatever window manager you like on it. I find twm somewhat annoying, so I went with OpenBox; it works amazing.

In my setup, Linux Mint runs inside a VM. (Side note: It looks like some distros don't 'play nice' with TigerVNC; it works great so far on Mint.)

I first ssh, from OS X into Mint(VM), forwarding Mint's 5901 to OS X's 5902.
I then ssh, from the Kindle into OS X, forwarding the Kindle's 5903 to OS X's 5902.

I then run kindlevncviewer on the Kindle, with the setting -encodings hextile, to connect to Kindle's localhost:3

I then run OS X's built in vnc viewer (Command-K from the Finder, then enter URL) to connect to localhost:2.

I control the mouse & keyboard from this second vnc window on OS X.

It's a shame for the Mac, really, that this works better than a native server.
HugeFanOfE-Ink is offline   Reply With Quote