Thread: Classic Can B&N Compete?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I think so. There are many people who prefer B&N over Amazon. Who like the brick and mortar store.
I'm one of them, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
It will be easy to keep these customers, as long as their device proves worthy.......
No, it won't be easy to keep these customers, at least not this one.

I had a very long telephone conversation with a BN.com customer service supervisor as well as a similar in-person conversation with my local store manager about how B&N seems to be deliberately encouraging me to give my business to Amazon.

Because they can, they looked at my account and saw how much money I spent at B&N in 2009, and the amount did not include what I have spent at Fictionwise. I am, they agreed, the type of customer that B&N needs to keep and cultivate if it plans to have a long-term future. Yet, B&N does what it can to drive me away and I am close to finally saying goodbye to B&N.

I won't go through the litancy of my complaints here (yet again), but both B&N people told me all that they can do is pass the complaints up the chain. It was indicated that B&N top management are not receptive to hearing customer complaints about nook or ebook pricing or discount coupons or everyone getting the same price or unhappy B&N members. The stock response is that B&N believes it is pricing everything "fairly" and nothing more need be said and that B&N members have said that free shipping is the most valuable perk (hogwash!!!!).

Anyway, B&N is getting the initial rush with the sale of its nook, but the real test will come with ebook sales. The nook is a 1-time sale and no way to build a business; ebooks are multi-time sales (or should be) and needed to sustain a business.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote