View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #351
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
So where do you think existing uploaded content comes from?
Some (certainly not all) is indeed from people doing exactly that.
I'm pretty convinced that uploaded content usually comes from someone else than the original media buyer, for the reasons I wrote in the post you are citing from. As I said, current DRM systems strongly encourage media consumers to strip DRM from their files as soon as possible. Moreover, the DRM has to be removed to use a file if you are not the original buyer, even if you are his/her spouse. So ALL media file that get shared is guaranteed to be without DRM, and there's no reason to avoid illegally distributing it.
...except not wanting to violate the law and/or the publisher's license, of course. However, today getting DRM-stripped files already requires illegal and/or prohibited actions, so distributing the file on the internet won't be the first one of these, which lowers the barrier. Moreover, current laws and policies related to DRM are so patently unjust that most media consumers -me included- have a latent desire to see media publishers pay for such abuse. (BTW, this also strongly lowers social disapprobation towards illegal media distribution.)
My proposal for "social DRM" seems to me to be much more fair, and thus should not elicit a thirst for revenge.

Last edited by BoldlyDubious; 11-15-2012 at 03:34 PM.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote