View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
geekmaster pretty much invented this method, so he knows it inside and out
Actually, I gave credit to yifanlu for the original push in the right direction (as can be seen in gray at the bottom of the first "simple debricking" post). After all, it was his "slip of the finger" that discovered the "magic key" for USB Downloader mode on the K4, and how to boot a custom u-boot from USB using that special mode. Together, we worked out how to use it to get my SEVERELY bricked K4 (with internal serial port pads ripped loose from the circuit board) working again during an IRC session spread out over a week. If not for my bricked K4 with a dead serial port, this method may not have become available to all those who used it successfully, and a lot of dead kindles would still be sitting in drawers and closets around the world. So my bricked and damaged K4 should also share credit for this "simple debricking" method.

Of course, it took a HUGE effort on the part of myself and others to gather all the tools together and grow it, organize it, simplify it, and document it for use by beginners. As measured by download counts of tools and forensic images, the "success reports" list is only about ONE PERCENT of all those who appear to have used this method.

The "simple debricking" method is also being used almost as a "routine step" in the development process by some developers now, and it is also being used to "downgrade" to previous firmware versions, and to install firmware that already has jailbreak and popular hacks pre-installed (and now, to remove "demo mode" from demo kindles too).

And this "simple debricking" method will get even simpler and more powerful when yifanlu completes his "one-click" project that will integrate these protocols, tools and steps into a single easy-to-use program that can be used for much more than "simple debricking".

And now hawhill has extended this "simple debricking" method to work on the K3 too, using the ATK (Advanced ToolKit) to replace "MfgTool" and "fastboot", and he is also working on a simple easy-to-use custom program to replace ATK.

We can look forward to more powerful and simpler tools and methods in the future. Thanks guys!

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-21-2012 at 12:08 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote