View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Regarding the time they take to implement fixeas I'm afraid we all die of old age before a stable and bugfree version is released

New way to deal with unhappy customers: Put them off to the grave
yes, you are probably right! However, there are some improvement, for the little I've seen so far (I've not have had time to play around with it sufficiently long). One very neat new feature that I like a lot: if you are reading a document and point to the page number on the status bar, a menu pops up with a numerical keypad ro insert the number of the page you want - now stop here without confirming the selection, and you will get a preview of the page! Very very handy if you are "browsing" and do not remember exactly where something was in the book, since once you preview the page, you can use the arrows in the said keypad to move to the enxt/previous page.

You can get the same function by calling the "goto page" submenu. In addition, the last four opened pages will show as thumbnails in the "gotopage" submenu. And you can quickly shift between these four last open pages while reading by a press and hold on the "book" button: this brings up the four last open pages (as thumbnails) and you can switch between them very quickly. This is great if you are working on a text and want to quickly switch between what you are reading now and e.g. definitions which you read in previous pages and need to refer back to. Very very neat.

Freehand annotation in pdf files works much quicker on my device than with the previosu RC2, but it may be that I had a problem with that before, as I know for some this function was quick. In pdfviewer the status bar is now showing, though for scrolling within the same page you still have to use a longish press of the joystick.

The browser is nice (as it was before), and from one of the menus (ope file) it looks like you can access all the files that are in the "ianccessible part" of the device - this is probably of no use (surely, it says nothing to me), but I say this in case one of you geeks can use this info for any geeky stuff

The configuration menu has now an entry for "library", where you can set whether the library is updated automatically or not, and the same for the optimization of the database - on this I am a little bit lost, I think that there were issues raised in the Ukranian forum about batery consumption with continuous updating of the library, so I think that with these functions the user can choose whether to do so manually instead than automatically.

Now the negatives so far: the rendering of some submenus is hardly readable, and same if you create a new bookmark in the bookmark bar of the browser, until you somehow press something that refreshes the screen, and then you are ok - this happens even if you have refresh at every page.

When using the dictionary, the ghosting is quite serious, with some lines becoming unreadable. And dictionaries do another funny thing: if I invoke any of the websters' dictionaries, the keyboard witches to the one for non touch models (the one divided in three sections). Go to the oxford dictionary, and all looks fine, go back to a webster's (or an Italian one I have) and you get a different layout for hte keyboard, which is also unresponsive to the stylus: bizarre!

Last edited by paola; 11-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote