View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #50
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I read on a 13.3", 4.2lb Tablet PC and it's just on this side of barely tolerable, being hot and heavy on the lap, and quite bulky to shift around. The ipad sold millions although its technical specs are total crap precisely because it was the first sub-2lb tablet. If its weight had increased to 3.5lb then the Tablet PCs would have been superior in every imaginable way. Weight matters.

The same problems were raised with the Edge, regarding size and heft. I certainly have not read any reviews of the Edge that went "oh gee golly I wish this was HUGER and HEAVIER. And the e-ink side is useless, let's make both sides LCD." And the Edge with its better execution is still not hugely popular as far as I can tell.

To each their own of course. However it seems this product has a competitive problem against Tablet PCs which are full featured computers, are lighter, and can run a wider range of programs, faster. Unless it can get in under $500 it will have problems competing. But who knows, it really might be dirt cheap.
"I read on a 13.3", 4.2lb Tablet PC"

Me too. I used the Mobipocket Reader and split the screen into 2 columns. The tablet pc I use has a touch screen and was great to read on. Except, as you say, for the weight.

But it was reading on the tablet that caused me to spend so much money on a ereader.

I disagree on the ipad being "the first sub-2lb tablet". It's a limited MID (mobile internet device). True, many people love it. It is very good looking. It is a status symbol that says "look how cool I am". But it is not a tablet computer except in the technical since.

"And the Edge with its better execution is still not hugely popular as far as I can tell."

None of these large screen devices will ever be "popular". Just as a street sweeper will never be "popular". But for certain jobs a street sweeper is better than a Mercedes. Same thing with these large screen readers.

"Unless it can get in under $500 it will have problems competing. But who knows, it really might be dirt cheap."

"But who knows" is right. The first VCR I ever saw was selling for just under $3,000. My first pathetic computer was over $2,000. And that price had come down $800.

The readers we use today will seem retarded and way over priced in years to come.

The thing to understand is that THIS reader is not competing with our 5 - 6 inch readers.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote