View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Thank you for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
4. Everyone talks about 50% of "list price," but it's never been clear that "list price" for an ebook meant the same price as hardcover price.
Good point, I've only heard it in the reference of a 50% price increase which refer to Amazon's $10 price compared to the new MacMillian price of $15. Hence a 50% increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
5. If Amazon goes to the agency model, they'll probably make more per book. But lose some market leverage. The author (by my calculations) will probably get less. The publisher more. Per book sale, that is. Sales may drop.

I'm not a big fan of the agency model. Neither am I a fan of Amazon's Walmart-like model. I don't see many winners here--unless this really does help preserve hardcover sales, which I doubt. But I could be wrong. (I also don't think it's as catastrophic as many have made it out to be for the reading public. It might get publishers to take seriously actually dropping the price of books once they're in paperback, instead of neglecting the whole business, as they often do now.)
No winners maybe but there will be losers. Authors and Consumers. What I don't get is why Authors are supporting the publishers on this.

I can't figure out if this is Stockholm syndrome or Authors natural reaction to oppose Amazon.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-08-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: removed extra text
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote