View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
So the US is going to imprison people for removing DRM from their ebooks?....Yes...I am sure most of it is only fines...etc... but seems a bit of a non-issue to me. The ones that do for personal use already do it....and most do not even know what DRM is....
Its very unlikely they would go after small time infringement. People like me don't really need to worry. They will go after those who strip the DRM to redistribute it to others. And even then they probably wouldn't bother with someone who gave away three copies of an eBook, they would go after those who give away or sell hundreds or thousands of copies by making them readily available for internet downloading.

When they cracked down on pirated music they rarely went after the person who had illegally downloaded a few dozen songs. They went after the big offenders like Napster who illegally made the songs available. Occasionally they went after someone who downloaded thousands of song, but that was rare and usually just to make a point.