View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Unless it became legal for applications to now include the tools built in.
I still don't foresee much changing. You can already download applications that remove or bypass DRM, for everything from ebooks to movies. It is just that the sites to download those files are hosted in jurisdictions where it is legal to host such files. A great many of these applications are quite legitimate because of their legality in other nations, and because there is a lot of incentive for users of alternative operating systems (e.g. Linux) to develop them in order to access those media files.

Besides, most people aren't going to obtain DRM cracking software unless they feel inconvenienced by DRM. A lot of people are happy with buying media through one vendor. Relatively few people are going to bump into the device restrictions in modern DRM models. I doubt that many people will even think about sharing books with their friends, selling books that they've read, or donating them to charity simply because they wouldn't be able to figure out how to transfer that book even if it was DRM free.

The only thing that I can foresee changing: we'll have fewer criminals running around the streets of our cities simply because the activity of removing DRM for perfectly legitimate uses won't be criminal.