View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by anix
Since I am running 64-bit OSes (I dual-boot Linux and windows Vista), I can't use my PRS-500 unless someone comes out with a working driver (and that doesn't look like it will happen soon).
Drivers in Calibre aren't the typical driver you're thinking of, like a driver for a graphics card. A driver in Calibre does not interface with the OS's kernel. All device drivers Calibre uses will work on any supported OS 32 or 64 bit. They are really just a way to tell Calibre how to write the files to the device. The Cybook and Kindle Drivers for instance were developed on a 64 bit Linux install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_benson
It looks like all that calibre does is copy the files and create an xml file, or am I missing something?
Essentially that's what it does in the case of the PRS devices.

Quote:
Does it actually need to talk to the reader itself?
Nope. However, it does need to know how to put the files on the card. Calibre currently supports the PRS line, the Cybook Gen 3 and the Kindle. Only the 505 and the 700 share the same book and meta data file layout. The 500 is similar. The Cybook and Kindle are different. Calibre at least needs to know what kind of device it is dealing with so it can properly add the books for the device so the device will be able to read them.

Quote:
It would be handy (and probably faster ... I haven't got round to benchmarking it yet) to be able to write to an SD/MS card directly, and have the tags & metadata.
This would be a nice feature. It hasn't been implemented because Calibre would have to know what kind of device the card is intended for so it can write to it in the proper manner. This is not a simple task. It is however something I've been thinking about implementing at some point in the future.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote