Thread: MobileRead August 09 Book Club Nominations
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yeah, I agree with BenG, I always understood contemporary author or works to mean the author is alive and writing in our era, but that doesn't mean the place of the work has to take place in our time.

To say "contemporary works" is not the same to say a "work that takes place in contemporary time".

=X=
I would use the term contemporary to mean something written that takes place now or not too far in the past from now.

If I was to say nominate the one Star Trek eBook we have in the MR library, it would not fit. It's not contemporary even though the author is still alive and writing. So using contemporary to mean the author is alive does not fit (IMHO).