View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... do you have some type of abstract or summary you can add to your nomination?

BOb
All I can say is this is a book on my to read list because of the reviews on Manybooks. Below are the reviews from Manybooks. I hope it is OK to post them here.

Jim Stevenson

I discovered this book 35 years ago. My copy is falling apart with age, but I keep it safe in a glass book case with my rarest of book treasures. House on the Borderland was the scariest book, the most engrossing sci fi I have ever read.

I am not a re-reader of books generally speaking, but I just finished reading it again for the 8th or 9th time. I read it aloud to my son when he was a kid. He was creeped out just as much as I had been and still enjoys the book as well. What a book!

Wouldn't this make a great, great movie if it followed the book? I have often thought how it would appear on film....but even if it would be filmed, it would never have the same effect as the printed word on the imagination.

Sadly, I have tried reading other books by Hodgeson, but they pale by comparison. I believe there is a mystique in it by its being a touted as coming from a discovered "ms" and at no time does this book suggest that it is fiction.

And finally, has anyone seen a cover that does the book justice?

JS
Imran

a Horror Masterpiece!
sujen

This is one of the creepiest, moodiest books I've ever read. I couldn't put it down! I finished reading it at about 3am, and then I was too spooked to sleep!

EXCELLENT!
Toni T.

This is one of my favorite books. Especially the trip forward in time is, in my opinion, an awesome piece of science fiction. It’s pretty sad that this novella has not reached the eyes of many readers and that W.H.Hodgson is very much forgotten at present times. Well, this is your chance to read it. A brilliant masterpiece.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote