View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Some day I'll have to write a book and hire you for formatting/publishing... just to make you happy
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, Jellby. Would that you would. But as we know, that's where the cow eats the cabbage, as we say here in Uhmur-ika. I mean, authors that CAN write in html will--and they'll make their own books. Those that can, do. Those that can't, oh, man...they really, really can't. ;-)

If they could, I would not have a biz. Thus...one can't complain about it. What I was ranting about was the idea that a bunch of right-brainers are going to sit there and write their novels (or whatever) in html! Are there some? Sure, we see them here daily, on MR. But the vast majority--guys, if you knew how much time I spend on the phone walking people through stuff as simple as "downloading a file from a browser," instead of a word-processing file "saving" (because they have a program that will launch it from within their email) by "magic," you'd have a whole new vision of life. Trust me, I sure did.

Before I owned this business, it never really crossed my mind--I mean, I'm not young--that all these people out there in the world could NOT do things that we all do like breathing. Can't use Paypal; can't download from browsers, don't know how to save a file that they can't launch first, don't know how to use Word's outline function, don't know that headers are for structure...I mean, I walk authors through the icons on Word menus DAILY. Don't know how to copy a file, in a directory (folder, whatever). Word is a program that they live and breathe with, right? Something that they are using, in the hope of making a living from the output? But they don't know how to use it, and have displayed very little interest in learning it.

It's been very eye-opening for me. It truly has. I think that those of us who are remotely nerdy or tecchie forget that there's an entire world of people out there who really are NOT. I have clients (via publishers) that don't OWN A COMPUTER, never mind don't have Twitter, etc. I get paid by check all the time, even though we take Goog Wallet, Paypal, etc. I am not complaining about all this, I'm not. I'm trying to say that when "we" all live on the Internet, surrounded by other people who are ALSO tech-oriented, people who post on fora, yadda, we FORGET. Not everyone is "like us."

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote