View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #1290
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Do I count the time I've been reading and I suppose there's the same time left?
That never works -- or only for superficial readers. As an example, here's my reading speed for one of the 7 books I'm currently reading, Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer (I've been unimpressed so far):
  • 1.25 / 2%
  • 0.5 / 4%
  • 0.5 / 6%
  • 1 / 3%
  • 0.5 / 6%
  • 0.75 / 7%
  • 0.5 / 4%
  • 0.5 / 10%
Each line represents another day of reading that book. The percentage shows my reading speed, in percentages per hour. (This particular book is 107,000 words long, which might be around 330 pages on paper.) The earliest data is at the bottom.

As can be seen, my reading speed for this book varies wildly, between 10% per hour and 2% per hour. Whenever I slow down in a book, it's typically a sign that the book is getting better -- that I annotate it more while reading it, or think about it more as I'm reading it. And how could you know in advance how good or bad the rest of the book you're reading, is going to be? You can never know that in advance. Therefore, predicting your reading speed on the basis of your reading speed so far, is always extremely unreliable, and can always only be an extremely crude guesstimate. Unless you're a superficial reader -- which, of course, is exactly what our schools and universities typically teach young people to be.