View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
a couple general epub questions

I'm working on a converting about a dozen books to Epub format.

I've got a few semi-related questions:

1) a couple of the books have 'introductory' images -- for example, one book has a symbolically important kanji placed just before Chapter 1. Another of the books does something similar -- the book has 3 sections, each with an introductory image.

My question: what do I do with these? They aren't technically chapters, nor part of chapters, yet I'm almost thinking I should create a 'blank' chapter head so these images will essentially end up on their own page? Does this make sense, creating 'fake' chapters?

2) After much research, I'm still at a loss as to how to deal with certain frontmatter/backmatter related pages. For example, About the Author, Dedication, and even Glossary. Do I simply give these chapter heads as well? That at least will put them in the TOC. I moved the copyright page to the end of the book as well. Is there a standard?

3) Related to this, I see in Sigil an option to 'add Semantics' to a file, which lets me 'mark' it as Glossary, or Dedication, etc. Is there a way to use this instead of creating chapters for said items, or do I need to do both? Since semantics apply to an entire 'file', I think I need to do both?

4) What is the best way to get a 'cover' into Sigil? Should I start out with the cover image on page 1, then declare that a chapter, then 'add semantics' and mark it as 'cover'? I know from fiddling with Calibre that it more or less lets you add a cover as part of the metadata... should i just open the file in Calibre and do it that way instead?

Sorry for the rambling questions. I've solved so many other ones in the past few days, and these are 'general' ones that I can't seem to find a simple, direct, answer to online. (maybe i'm just burnt out)
affa is offline   Reply With Quote