View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I bought a Nook Color when it first came out. It was a ebook reader that easily became a full fledged tablet (with a little tinkering) at a very decent price. But B&N did nothing to push ahead with this product that was the talk of the town. Instead they sat on their laurels and let the competition just roar on by. It just took them so long to do anything. By the time they came out with an upgraded product, the Fire was already out and the Nexus was on the horizon. By then it was just too late for B&N.

I feel that they missed a golden opportunity to establish themselves as a big player in the 7" tablet market.
They replaced the Color with the Tablet a year later and it was arguably as good as or better than the original Fire. Same with the existing ones. I wouldn't call that resting on their laurels. That's faster than a lot of Apple updates and pretty impressive for a company with no previous experience in electronics.

I think a lot of people had unrealistic expectations. Their biggest mistake IMO was not the hardware but the limited ecosystem. But even then, most Android OEMs (well actually all except Samsung) are struggling to make any money right now so the decision to try to control the ecosystem rather than just opening it up is understandable.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote