View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #461
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
OK, first things first: Thanks so much kiwidude for this and the GoodReads metadata plugin. I should have been using them both at least a year ago. I'm stunned at what you did when you weren't even using GoodReads!

I've spent a good part of the last couple of days reading all the posts in this thread. I got through 5 pages before I finally figured out that I couldn't do what I wanted because I'd only installed the metadata plugin, not the sync plugin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
I want to create shelves in Goodreads based on my tags,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Funnily enough no-one has ever requested this as a feature. The "assumption" has always been (based on the requirements of those who requested shelves as tags in the first place, not something I use myself) that the user has created shelves on Goodreads.
@mfaine: Do you already have these books in GoodReads? If not, I know I've seen somewhere a Calibre plugin that exports to CSV, and you can import the CSV file to GoodReads. I confess I haven't a clue what happens if you try to do that with existing books - but I used the CSV upload a lot when I added my physical library to GR, and I'm sure it had some merging ability, but that would likely have worked better with me just tweaking the CSV and reloading it than it might with data that is likely quite different between GR and Calibre. Try it with just one record, first! (and export your GR collection as CSV before you start, so that you can restore it if it is a disaster).

@kiwidude: Though I haven't seen much argument in this thread, I believe you've made a couple of invalid assumptions about shelves. First, a few times I've seen you mention using GoodRead's "genres". Actually, GR doesn't really have genres. Even though you can set a "genre" when adding/editing a book's details, that value is never, iirc, used anywhere. What you see on the http://www.goodreads.com/genres page is, in fact, just some of the values users have used for shelving books (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...ng-genre-pages). If you click on the "More genres…" link, it becomes pretty obvious. Secondly, you frequently seem surprised that people would have large numbers of shelves. I have 35 - and I'm pretty sure that's a very small number amongst GR users (I'm pretty sure there's a way to find stats like that, but I haven't figured it out yet). It certainly follows from the explanation of genres that most users will shelve every book on at least one non-exclusive shelf (and even though you seem to only bother with "read", everybody automatically gets the "to-read", "read" and "currently-reading" exclusive shelves).

I expect nobody else has asked to "create" shelves from calibre tags because it's an irregular requirement - once for a bunch of shelves when we get started, then hardly ever again. It's certainly not a priority item for me, but if we could create shelves from the plugin, I'd certainly use it. Probably, it wouldn't be necessary for a single book: an option to browse through the list of GR tags (or actually their mapped Shelves) and ensure that there is a GR shelf for each (shelves.list & user_shelves.create) would be nice.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote