View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Canadians--advantages of a flash install?

I was one of those weird folks who had problems with locked content. After going back and forth with the Kobo help team and not coming up with a solution, I took my Kobo to Chapters and had them flash it.

It solved the problem (something a reinstall of the update [and many other proposed fixes] didn't do). More then that, there are some other good things that came out of it.

This flash install seems to have improved the page numbering issues. Now, at the bottom of each page, the page number I am on, and the total pages in the book show up. So, for example, I am on page 42 of an 850 page book right now. If I go to the menu, I can go to each chapter individually. I do not get one of those annoying Chapter end pages each time I go from one chapter to the next as I read.

The books were, of course, gone after the flash and I had to sync. Although all my books were loaded again, the ones that were open before the flash were bookmarked at the right place after I did the sync.

Chapters also gave me a coupon for a free Kobo download. It is apparently something they are supposed to do after they do the OS update.There were only three eligible books, but one of them (The Passage) was one I wanted to read.

In addition, my lovely Chapter's store gave me a $10 gift card for all the trouble I had gone to. It is good at the store or on the Chapter's website (not on the Kobo site).

It was well worth my while to drive to Chapters and letting them flash my Kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote