View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, it's the opposite. If a paragraph runs across a page break then the smaller bit before or smaller bit after so page is filled is the Widow or Orphan. I forget which is which.
Widows are at the end (bottom of page), orphans are at the beginning (top of page).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think a setting of one basically means a paragraph doesn't jump to the next page if otherwise a Widow or Orphan is created. I can't see how 0 has a meaning. But I could be wrong.
Widows and orphans set the minimum number of lines that will appear at the top or bottom of a page. 1 says 1 line, 2 is a minimum of two lines, etc. And 0 is indeed undefined since widows and orphans are specified as positive integers though most renderers treat it as 1.

For those reading epubs, there is a patch for librmsdk.so.1.0.0 in the kobopatcher collection ( Disable orphans/widows avoidance: yes ) that disables widows/orphans (effectively forces to 1).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote