View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
This is the first book by Neil Gaiman that I have read and I hope to read more of his work!

I enjoyed this book immensely. It was a brilliant page-turner with a marvelously constructed world filled with interesting characters and locales. The latter were developed as plays on the literal meaning of the various London place names such as Earl's Court--which has a real Earl who holds a bizarre court on an underground train carriage.

The characters were unforgettable. Richard, the Warrior, seemed anything but a warrior and the Lady Door--for me anyway--was more reminiscent of an anime heroine than the traditional fantasy princess. Even the villains were remarkable in their {sometimes horrible} quirkiness. The plot had a wonderful whimsical quality with its unexpected twists, turns, and red herrings.

I loved this book!

BTW I've been told that Gaiman wrote a fabulous episode, "The Doctor's Wife", for series 6 of Dr Who {I've not seen it yet--but I'll make a point of it now}.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote