View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook, G1
Smile Font and epub, what works on sony, now works on Nook too!

I am a China Nook user and I want to read Chinese book in my nook. I understand Nook support embedded font in epub and pdf and this works for me well.

But I am a lazy person and don't like embedded font to the epub file everytime. There is a well known method in Sony ereader to use font file in reader to display book content, if you never know about it, you can find more information in below link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361

I spent half day and make the same thing happen in Nook and I'd like to share with you all here, below is the brief steps:

- put the font file you want to use in Nook (you can put it in internal storage or external miniSD card, it dpends on you), for example, I create a folder named "font" in sdcard and put font files "msyh.ttf" and "msyhbd.ttf" in it.

- In Calibre, choose Preference -> Conversion -> Extra CSS and put below scripts in it:

@font-face {
font-family: "MSYaHei";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///sdcard/font/msyh.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "MSYaHei";
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///sdcard/font/msyhbd.ttf);
}

body { font-family: "MSYaHei", serif;}

of course, you can adjust it according your font file and folder

- the last step, convert the book to epub and upload it to your Nook, enjoy!

with this method in Nook, there are some hints should be noticed.

- for the src code above, if you use minisdcard to store font file, the format should be:

src: url(res:///sdcard/font/msyhbd.ttf);

if you use internal storage to store font file, the format should be:

src: url(res:///system/media/sdcard/<your font folder>);

- with my testing, not every font file works with Nook, for example, the msyh font file from XP not work, but the font file from WIN7 works fine.

Hope this is useful to you!
ctos is offline   Reply With Quote