View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I used named entities in HTML docs that I converted via Mobipocket Creator and they didn't work; just showed the code rather than the character.
That's strange, I'm sure it should work. Maybe you forgot the semicolon at the end of the entities or some other typo? Or maybe MPC didn't "know" you were importing an HTML file and then converted ‘ into ‘?

[quote](And yes, by "smart quotes" I mean angled quotation marks, single and double--that's what they're called in Word.)

"Smart" in the smart quotes does not mean curled/angled quotes, but the ability (or whatever) of Word to properly guess which kind of quote mark (open or close) should be used when you just type " (straight quote mark).

Quote:
I did use UTF-8. I wonder why the pages didn't verify, then? The error didn't name them specifically, just said that there was a character it couldn't read.
I'd guess the character encoding was not set to UTF-8 in the header.

Quote:
I don't own a reader that can read ePub. Do most of the readers parse named entities properly? If so, I think that might be the way to go.
Neither do I, but I can test ePUBs in Adobe Digital Editions or in a browser. Everything I've tried recognized entities (’) or numbers (& #8217;), including the mobipocket reader in the Cybook.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote