View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've been thinking a bit about this thread and it occurs to me that for people interested in reading and listening, or even for people just interested in listening, a lot of money can be saved by buying the Kindle book and getting the discount on the Audible book.

For example: I'm reading Ken Follett's "Column of Fire" and I bought the Kindle book as well as the discounted Audible book for my sister to listen to. I think in this case the ebook was about $15 and the audiobook was $13. I may be a dollar off. This is from memory. If I'd bought the audiobook directly from Audible I think it was right at $50. So even in this case, a new best selling book, I saved quite a bit.

Most of the Kindle books I buy when they're on sale, nearly always for $2. Often if I buy the Kindle book adding on the Audible book is another $2. Sometimes $3. Sometimes more. Not every book gives me a big discount on the audiobook but a lot of them do. Maybe as many as 1/3 or 1/2 of them do.

So any audiobook fan might want to watch for Kindle sales and see which ones give those big discounts and get their audiobook that way instead of paying full price. It's even about 1/3 the price of a subscription, which is $15 for one book.

When I first started at Audible the deal they had was 5 books a month for $20. Ah the good old days.

I'm about to turn 77. I have macular degeneration and I've had it for a long time but it's never gotten bad. It's pretty common at my age. Now suddenly it's getting worse, although not quickly, so I'm starting to think more and more about audiobooks, not so much for now as for the future. I probably won't have to stop reading any time soon but farther down the road that's a real possibility. Listening is okay with me if I can't read.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote