View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Actually Harry a more correct statement would be "the contents of the book should have been peer-reviewed, and should be trustworthy". Sometimes peer review perpetuates universally held beliefs that are in error, e.g. Galileo's "peer" review about the center of the solar system is a classical and well known case. Sometimes the review by established authority is not really peer review.
Let me re-phrase it, then: if you buy a textbook from a reputable publisher, you will be be presented with information which is in accordance with generally-accepted theories. Whether those theories are "true" or not is a matter for philosophical discussion .

Like Dennis, some of the "facts" I see presented on the web make me cringe. It's fine to hold unorthodox views, but I think that it's unethical to pretend that those views are "mainstream".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote