View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
kejia
Enthusiast
kejia began at the beginning.

Device: alex ereader
UPDATE: Nate the Great pointed out that you change the settings for 3rd party apps, and download app. When I did so, and clicked on downloaded file, the package installer took over, and now the new icon is showing on the menu in the LCD screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Did anyone install additional applications?
Bluebrain rooted Alex (one sunny sunday afternoon ). No one else has talked about adding applications. I want a simple text editor -- would I download apk file to my laptop and transfer it over? Would I download it directly from Alex's browser? I cannot see a usr/applications folder anywhere on the SD. I know the OS is over on the "hard-drive" of the Alex, but I see no way to access it without rooting the Alex.

*Note: Using Terminal on my macbook, the SD card is on /Volumes/ALEX, and the directory reads:
my-macbook:~ userid$ ls -a /Volumes/ALEX/
. .Trashes .fseventsd Music Video
.. ._.Trashes DCIM Pictures eBooks

Music/Video/Pictures/eBooks correspond to the icons on LCD display of Music/YouTube/Gallery/Library. The .Trashes folder contains files I've deleted. Presumably these will be deleted next time I turn off the Alex.

DCIM and .fseventsd were probably added when I mounted the SD card on my macbook. The DCIM folder might have been added by my iPhoto program which thought I was connecting a camera and automatically opened (until I changed the prefs). The .fseventsd folder contains one file, /fseventsd-uuid, which contains a 32 digit line of alpha-numeric text. According to google, .fseventsd is an OS X file extension, so my macbook probably added this file when I mounted the SD card.

But there is no directory to add user applications on the SD card.

Last edited by kejia; 05-01-2010 at 04:46 PM.
kejia is offline   Reply With Quote