View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #66
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm on Geralt's side on this. If you see someone behaving in a baffling manner, I see nothing wrong in trying to understand why they are behaving that way. We are all human beings wired in more or less the same way. Thinking "Well, that's just them, it doesn't apply to me" is also baffling to me.

I just read through some of the Reading Snobbery thread, and someone (AndrewH?) brought up the issue of insecurity when applying snobbery to others. It strikes me that this bad-book reading person may also be insecure; enjoying feeling above the books she's trashing, but not feeling up to reading "better" books. I could be completely wrong; it's just an idea that fits the behaviour.
That's just you.

If I tried to understand why the rest of you do weird stuff, I'd never have time for anything else. But since you brought it up...

Anger can get the blood flowing and spice up an otherwise drab life. Adrenaline addiction can also lead to gambling, extreme sports, fighting, and more.

Some may be have a need to be a savior. Torturing themselves to protect others from the depredations of those horrendous books.

There are a plethora of reasons why folks might be doing this. Or maybe they're just nuts.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote