View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Strangely enough, almost the only time when I see my "root password" prompt on my linux box is when I run the package update system.
Sure, that's because unix/linux has always enforced the security permissions and boundaries. Due to this unix programmers followed the rules and saved user data only to folders users had access to, etc.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I failed mob psychology 101 - and this is not relevant to the discussion of security.
Right, it has nothing to do with security, which you claim XP and Vista has none... that was what I was originally responding to. Above you still say people turn UAC off because "Vista" is unuseable. But, it is actually the porrly written apps which cause the prompt.

Quote:
Look, I don't want to step all over your Microsoft fandom, but I have been working with a mixed unix/windows environment as a system and later on network admin for many years now.
Belive me, as a Windows developer I am far from a fanboy... the opposite in fact. But, you have to remember you can't judge someone who wrote a book that was published by MS Press as not knowing how to write secure code. If MS took the Apple route and threw away backward compatiblity in order to be 100% secure people would be trash talking them more than they do for the baby steps they took in Vista. You are complalining that they did exactally what you are asking for! Imagine if they went all the way and only 2% of current windows apps ran?

Quote:
And if I make little jokes about them, it is only because they so richly deserve it.
If you say so.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote