View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
No, PatNY did not say that it was ok to steal from the company: according to the article and comments made underneath it, the law is that if you are sent items that you didn't order, you can consider them a gift! You have no obligation to return them.
Bold mine
You understand, I hope, that this discussion hinges on what is legal vs. what is ethical. I am very capable of reading, no bolding required.
Quote:
And then went on to say: It's up to each individual to assess the situation and do what they deem fit.

I don't see where PatNY implied that it's ok to steal from the company.
The exact line you quoted is where PatNY implied that it's OK to steal from the company. Not in a legal sense, but in an ethical sense. You can read the analogy I provided above regarding incorrect change. It is stealing by any other name. In your quote you omitted PatNY's "" which rather neatly expressed his glee at the prospect of benefitting from something that wasn't rightly his.

His attempts to justify this dishonest behaviour are totally specious. He writes: "If the person returns the 4 iPads would that be likely to change the company's bottom line significantly?"

All of a sudden significance enters into it; PatNY is claiming there is acceptable threshold for stealing. Below a certain percentage, stealing is OK. Above, less OK. What sort of basis for a moral system is this? If you find a wallet in the street, are you less obligated to turn it in if the owner is wealthy than if the owner is poor? Is that what you teach your children?

He then writes: "If the person returns the 4 iPads would that be likely to change someone's job if it was in jeopardy?"

He acknowledges that an employee could potentially be fired for the error, but that it's not worth the effort to try to prevent this because Best Buy is so badly organized that it wouldn't make any difference. I don't know about you, but that smells like a crock to me.

Lastly, there is this bizarre comment: "A consumer keeping an item sent to them is not breaking the law. Apples and oranges. Especially in the case of the iPads!"

As I read it, he is saying it is especially acceptable to keep mistakenly sent merchandise if said merchandise is an iPad. Lord knows why that should be.
Quote:
IMO if you make and effort to return the product and the company declines, why shouldn't you keep it?
Why is this still being brought up? No one has disputed this.

The customers tried to alert BB about the error. BB got some free publicity by letting them keep the extra items. Win-win.

Last edited by holymadness; 12-10-2012 at 03:33 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote