View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The "book manager" part of CC is certainly usable when not connected. I assume that is what you are referring to.
Yes, that's what I meant.

Quote:
I confess to confusion. The thumbnails in the list view are scaled to the same size. The covers in book details are scaled down to a height of 160 pixels, aspect ratio respected.
I mean all thumbnails scaled to same height (160) and same width - aspect ratio not respected. I realise that this is sacrilege to some, but on the Sony & PRST1 device interface plugin customisations you/Kolenka kindly provided a checkbox for whether to preserve aspect ratio or not. Personally, I prefer the uniformity of all having the same dimensions.

Quote:
What thumbnails are you referring to?
How would you lay this out? Left to right, top to bottom? Would you include any text at all? How would you switch between views?
By a 'gallery' view I mean cover images only, no text at all, in a grid format, starting top left and filling as many rows as it takes. The beautiful colour and hi-res on these android devices mean that you can read authors/titles quite well at smallish sizes (but a bit bigger than the tiny one currently in CC). I would envisage switching between listview/gridview being done by two buttons (or a single toggle button) which could be accessed in the menu bar on any screen where CC is currently displaying the tiny thumbnail/author/title(series) info (which is what I'm calling listview). A grid choice of 2-across, 3-across, 4-across, 5-across would be nice. Now I don't know what the overhead of sending/holding all those image variations would be, so it may be totally impractical.

Mantano and Moon+ both have an optional grid view. So do the Sony x50/T1/T2 e-inks (3x3). Mantano has a choice of small (5 across x 4 down on my phone), medium (3x3) or big (2x2) It may be that you would prefer to leave this kind of cosmetic feature to the reader apps themselves, but speaking for myself, I would much rather use CC as my sole "book manager" and use the reader app purely for the rendering.

Quote:
This one is more complicated. The issue is that the computer running calibre must be visible over 3G, which in almost all cases means that it must be visible on the public internet. Is this true for you? Your computer running calibre has an external IP address?

I certainly don't have any "religious" objection to permitting connection over 3G to computer running calibre. The problem is that for at least 99% of the users, it wouldn't work. These users won't know how to open their home network, or perhaps they don't want to open the network (I fall into the second camp).

We would consider adding some option that would permit connections over 3G, but I am certain that doing so would result in people checking the box then complaining that CC doesn't work. I am open to suggestions on how to provide the functionality while avoiding complaints from people who don't understand the consequences. Any ideas?
I just asked my husband (the instigator of the wi-fi "house rule") how best to answer this. He told me to apologise to you for even asking as I clearly don't understand the requirements of 3G vs wi-fi

Thanks for listening, and once again, congratulations on a fine app