View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #42
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Sure. But depending upon the Mobi file, that might not be an option in any case. Will MobiPerl extract to HTML from a commercial title protected by DRM?
No, and for DRM:ed files there is no issue.

Quote:
For titles uploaded here, I'd start by posting a bug report to the original creator. The folks creating Mobi content all seem to be quite receptive, and upload newer versions of titles as errors are pointed out and as they learn how to make better crafted Mobi titles.
You assume that the original creator is still around. What will happen in many cases is that files cannot be enhanced because the original creator is not around and somebody starts over again duplicating the work.

Quote:
And a fair amount of stuff is proprietary, like it or not. For instance, you post MobiPerl files as RAR archives. While an assortment of tools can extract them, as far as I know, only the closed source and commercial RAR and WinRAR products can create them. (If there is an open source product that creates RAR archives, I'd be delighted to hear about it.)
I did not now that you could create zip files on a Linux machine until yesterday... I thought the the licence for ZIP files where more problematic or that the licence for programs to create ZIP files were worse. But I might have misunderstood things.

Quote:
Or MobiPocket will document it well enough to allow folks to decompress it with third-party tools.
Does Mobipocket Creator allow you to decompress the files?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote