View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 03:41 AM   #17
very_rude_Turnip
Enthusiast
very_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Alternatively, just register with a fake email address. Kobo do not do any checking except to make sure it looks valid.
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but it had valuable information in it and I was able to successfully bypass registration on my Kobo before moving on to own it.

So thanks to everyone who provided info.

Regarding the above advice to put in a fake email address: I think this is really bad advice. Kobo already has your known email address, mailing address, billing address, full name, and similar info that you gave up when you purchased the device (assuming you bought it online from them directly). They have the serial number of the device already, and when it checks in on the internet, they tie it all together with the source IP address.

So they have your IP, physical location, name and similar info, and they start building a profile of your reading habits. What you like. What your preferences are.
very_rude_Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote