View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #15311
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Minus 148 Degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Extremely interesting! I loved it. If you like it and it makes you interested, I warmly recommend
Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8,000-Meter Peak by Maurice Herzog and
No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks by Ed Viesturs
*Ed Viestrus is also mentioned in Krakauer's book...
Also there's my favorite, Minus 148 Degrees (The first Winter ascent of Mount McKinley) by Art Davidson.

Quote:
Minus 148 is one of the few true classics in the literature of mountaineering. It is no simple tale of heroism and valour, like Annapurna, but rather a vexed, uneven story of doubt, failure, whim, courage, tragedy. The expedition was unbalanced, with the strong members far superior to the others. Perhaps the strongest of all was killed in an absurd accident within the first hours. The leader himself seemed to lose heart in mid-stream. Yet everything was redeemed by the magnificent accomplishment of the summit in early March, and then by the even more magnificent survival of Art, Dave Johnston, and Ray Genet.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-17-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote